Sunday, March 4, 2007

Thursday, February 15- Benjamin & Kyle’s birthday

Taken Feb 15

Taken Feb 15




Today Evelyn came to visit me. I’m still on bed rest, only able to get up to go to the bathroom. I’m having painful contractions again today but they’re far enough apart that I’m not worried. Well, at 5:30 I changed my tune. Now my contractions are getting closer together and more painful. The doctor checked me out and said they’d monitor me up here since there wasn’t room in labor/delivery. At 6:15 Gary arrived. He asked me where to put some flowers that I’d gotten. I told him “I don’t care, just put them on the bed.” That’s when he knew something was different. The nurse walked in to give me some pills just as I was feeling rectal pressure. I told her and she dropped the pills on the bed and calmly walked past the curtain and then started running. She grabbed another nurse and they took my whole bed (not a wheelchair this time) and ran it downstairs. I was rushed to the delivery room and Dr. Ubhi got paged to the labor/delivery room stat. The resident checked me and said that I was 5cm dilated. We both got asked many questions and Gary had to change into scrubs. I was very scared all this time. I got wheeled to the OR and had to switch beds. They gave me spinal freezing and it took a while to kick in. Dr. Ubhi was asked if he could wait another minute for the spinal to kick in and he said yes. I got told I might have to be put under a general if it didn’t work soon. The nurse told Gary he might not be allowed in because I might be put under a general. He asked how he’d know and the nurse said “If we don’t call you in 15 minutes then you know.” Well, I froze and Gary was allowed to support me. He held my hand and talked to me while they took the boys out. The boys were born at 7:19 and 7:20pm weighing 650 and 655 grams or about 1 pound, 7 ounces each. They got rushed to NICU and I got stitched up and sent to recovery. While in recovery, I was starting to get distraught because I didn’t know how the boys were doing or even whether they were still alive. The nurse found Gary and he walked in and gave me a thumbs up. He said they were doing all right. After recovery I was able to see the boys although I didn’t really remember it later. We looked at them and then said “You’re Kyle James and you are Benjamin Matthew.” Then I was brought upstairs. I started feeling sick from the freezing. We phoned a bunch of people that night- although I don’t remember much as I was drugged up. I didn’t get much sleep that night as nurses kept giving me pills and making sure I was ok.

No comments: