Monday, March 19, 2007

Monday, March 19

Today was an emotionally draining day. When we got to the NICU, Benjamin had a crowd of nurses around him. I asked what was wrong and they said that he probably has pneumonia. Then I saw his coloring; that was what scared me. He was gray and not really moving around like he normally does. They tried to do a blood culture but his veins weren’t cooperating so they just started him on a broad range of antibiotics. Then I sat with him for a while and then went for lunch. When I came back his coloring was much better. They did a blood test and a CBC (this checks for infection). His blood test came back much better than this morning’s. His CBC was also okay. It was higher than it should be but it showed that they caught this in the early stages.

Kyle was doing good. I think he knew his brother was sick because he kept desatting when they were working on Benjamin. He had hardly any desatting during the night. They also turned down the ventilator settings. He weighs 860 grams (up 40g).


Thank you to those of you who leave comments. We really look forward to reading them each day so please do not hesitate to leave us a comment if you'd like to.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Greta & Gary,
I'm so sorry to hear that Benjamin wasn't well today. It was so exciting to watch you hold him yesterday! I will be praying that he has a good night and that both boys continue to do well. Wishing you strength again for tomorrow. Can't wait to see them again Wed.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear that things went so badly for you today and I hope that tomorrow brings you better news...It can be heartbreaking to watch but keep your thoughts positive and have faith in them being strong...My heart goes out to you and although I'm not really good at praying I am praying for you and your sons...email me anytime you wish and know that you are not alone...If you are not already hooked up with the multiple birth association in your area let me know and I will find out who you talk to if you want...They can be quite supportive and can even hook you up with a mother who has gone through similar things and has more experiance than I do...Good luck and let me know if I can help you

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary and Greta! Just wanted to let you know that we're thinking about you and praying for you and your boys! Thanks for doing this blog, too. Its neat to keep up with their progress!
Teresa, Mike, and Tyler Kelly

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary and Greta: just to let you know that we are thinking of you and the baby's. We hope and pray every thing turns out well for all of you. From Auntie Nellie and Uncle Hank and family.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear that you had such a hard day yesturday, i hope that today makes up for it. Stay strong, you will all make it through this.
Take care of each other.
~Kim Burkett

Judy Royal said...

Hello Gary and Greta,
Thanks for this blogspot. It is wonderful to keep up with your progress as a family. You are all often in our prayers. We wish you strength and that the boys will continue to do well.
Love Brent and Judy.